Saturday 4 October 2014

DAY 276 / GAME 276 Killzone: Shadowfall

DAY 276 / GAME 276


Killzone: Shadowfall

      I try my best not to post about games I've just played.  I'm not so much reviewing games as I am listing the ones I've played and what made each one special to me.  But since I such an awesome experience playing through my first PlayStation 4 game, Killzone Shadowfall, I felt it was still appropriate.


       I've just recently posted about the two Killzone games I had played through at that point; Killzone 1 and 2.  But since then I've gone and purchased a PS4 and with it, Killzone Shadowfall.  It was on dirt cheap at $20, which is incredible since the game is no more than a year old and I knew it would be a great show of the system's power, as have all the previous games.  
        I couldn't have been more right.  Shadowfall looks beyond gorgeous.  It features infinite draw distances that have you staring wide-eyed at vastly detailed and fully populated cityscapes.  Very accurate and detailed lighting and extremely high resolution textures that make some screens look like photographs.


       Killzone: Shadowfall wasn't just pretty either.  I always found the previous Killzone game to have awkward controls; a combination of floaty, overly weighted aiming and backward placed button usage.  Shadowfall corrected a lot of that.  Instead of striving to feature uselessly unique controls, they've now been modified to your typical FPS fare meaning gameplay is now that much more intuitive than usual.  Plus, they've taken advantage of the touchpanel that was added to the new PS4 controller in a manner that isn't overly forced and is actually kind of handy.


    Of course, one of the most fantastic things I loved about this was that I was experiencing it on my new PS4 console.  A console which added for the first time a feature that I've been taking advantage of repeatedly.  Sony added a 'share' button to the new controller; pressing this button pauses the game and enters a program that runs in the background.  You're offered 3 options, you can stream your game onto the Twitch network, save out a screenshot (and post it to various social media) or save/post up to 15 minutes of footage that was buffered up to that point, all in full HD.  I can honestly see myself using this feature a whole lot in my upcoming gaming moments on my PS4.

      For note, all the pictures above were captured using the 'share' feature while I was playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment