Friday 17 October 2014

DAY 290 / GAME 290 F.E.A.R. 2

DAY 290 / GAME 290


F.E.A.R. 2


      Back before Resident Evil became as action-oriented as it is now and before Dead Space was a thing, there was a horror-action-FPS game called F.E.A.R.  First Encounter Assault Recon.  I had played the demo for the first game and it's standalone expansion, Perseus Mandate, but aside from that I had never experienced much of the game.  I did enjoy what little I saw though.  It presented itself as perhaps slighting into the future, with advanced looking weapons designs and some interesting in-game effects like slow-motion gunfire mode for precise shooting and 'ghosts' that would disappear into ashes.



      Every time I saw a copy of either F.E.A.R. game I told myself I would buy it soon.  It really did look like an enjoyable title and I do love it when a story mixes science fiction with horror; especially paranormal horror.  Eventually years passed and I never did get a hold of the game, during which time F.E.A.R. 2 was released.  I figured, rather than let the series pass me by a second time, I'd grab it at launch.  It was released very close to my birthday that year (2009) and so I used some gift money to pick up a copy.  



     F.E.A.R. 2 was as much an action packed shooter title as it was a horror game.  It was quick, handled very nicely and even went so far as to include a section where you pilot some kind of power-armor mech through a destroyed downtown location where you can pulverize your surroundings with machine guns and mounted rocket launchers.  The upside with a horror game that has this kind of focus on big guns and lots of ammo is that it's not quite as scary as a game where you've only got a lead pipe in your hands.  This may seem like a downside, but there are times when I want to enjoy both the look and feel of a horror game without having the stress of being on edge for your entire play session.


    All that said, F.E.A.R. 2 is still pretty scary.  You are constantly being thrown into dark corridors with little lighting and horrifying situations that include bodies littered everywhere and blood on every surface.  You are being stalked by Alma the entire time, the psychic entity of a little girl which embodies pure hate for the world that tortured her in the attempt to create the ultimate soldier.  There are moments where she is just hiding in the corner of your eye and other moments where the lights go out and when they come back on, she's in your face.  The game is full of these creepy jump-scares and moments of dreamy hallucinations full of ghostly encounters.


      F.E.A.R. 2 was a pretty solid title and definitely a departure from your usual First Person Shooter game.  It looks fantastic and really pushes the boundaries of your console with a number of unique visual tricks.  It's an interesting story that ties together a bit of sci-fi, horror and action and gore.  I just recently ended up with a copy of the first two  F.E.A.R. titles and the 3rd part that was released a couple years back.  Now I ought to make time to go through them all, since I really did enjoy this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment