Saturday 11 October 2014

DAY 284 / GAME 284 The Saboteur

DAY 284 / GAME 284


The Saboteur

      I had seen a lot of great footage from the upcoming the Pandemic game The Saboteur, but I hadn't given it too much of a second thought.  It had arrived on the market in 2009, during a time when I had started to reach that tipping point where affording games wasn't a problem, but making time for them was.  I had to make hard choices about what games to ignore and what games to purchase.  This was about the same time that I started to slow down on my new-release purchasing since my backlog of unplayed games in my library started to grow.  Why buy another game until you've finished what you've got, right?  



          Of course, a lot of times I'm purchasing out of fear.  Though this hasn't been the case for while now, but it used to be that when games went out of print they became very hard to get a hold of.  Games like Ico and Psychonauts that I hadn't heard about until they had been out for a couple years were hard to get and it was years before got a chance to play them.  So in my mind quite often I still feel the need to buy a game here and there that I plan on playing down the road, just in case.

           What does this have to do with The Saboteur?  Nothing I guess, just got on a thing.

           Now, as I said, Saboteur wasn't really a game I was planing on purchasing  until someone mentioned it was mainly focused on racing; that and shooting down zeppelins.  It didn't take me long after that to hunt down a copy.  Mind you, this was a year or two after it's release, so it was only about $20, the magic number.  Most games I will give a shot for $20, even if I'm not certain I will play them all the way through.  


        The Saboteur ended up being brilliantly fun.  The story revolves around an Irish racecar driver and mechanic, Sean Devlin, who ends up working for the French Resistance during WW2 after getting badly mixed up with the wrong Nazi colonel during a race in the French circuit.  Set in Paris as an open-world game, it's story focus is better than most other sandbox adventures and it's car-control is bar-none.  Since your cover is a racecar driver, a number of missions include countryside sprints in various 1940's sportscars and the races are win-able with skill and not just luck.  Though still not as good as most racing games, it comes close and you really don't feel cheated by poor controls trying to compete.


         The entire game is downright beautiful, which is a special thing for an open-world game like this.  Getting to experience Paris in this time period is something else and those cars, those cars are just incredible.  Playing Saboteur made me want a BMW 328 roadster in my driveway.
   One day..

No comments:

Post a Comment