Monday 28 July 2014

DAY 209 / GAME 209 Deus Ex

DAY 209 / GAME 209


Deus Ex


      Deus Ex was another title that wasn't on my radar until everyone around me started to get exited about it's launch.  I really had no idea what I was getting into, but everyone seemed to think this was the best new game since Tetris so when everyone else was out picking up their copy at launch day, so did I.
        Turns out everyone knew something that I didn't because Deus Ex turned out to be one of those incredible genre-defining games that is still popular to this day.
          Deus Ex was a First Person Shooter, Role Playing Game at the very least.  Contained in a FPS shell, you're allowed to progress through the game in various ways, tuning your character to fit your needs and play style.  A play style that could vary from a stealth, sniping, all-out shooter, hacking or talking your way though problems.  It's the kind of game that inspired similar titles such as Fallout 3.


          Deus Ex was easily one of the best examples of the Cyberpunk genre in gaming.  Between it's Bladerunner-esque settings and it's grungy dark future, the hacking through the city and the regularity of cybernetic implants, Deus Ex practically defines it.  You can fight your way through the thick plot any way you desire and soak it all up along the way.  I'm actually surprised I didn't play this more.  Considering how many different ways there was to play through the game, and how much I usually love an open ended game like this I'm not sure why I gave up on it after getting stuck after only the first try.  Truth be told, when I got stuck, I really should have just either continued to hammer at it, or just went and started a new game to try out one of the many other different methods of attacking it.

          It really was fantastic though.  I may not have gotten a full feel for just how open-ended it really was, but I sure got an idea from the one incomplete run-through I did do.  You could attempt the entire game using nothing but brute force, loading up heavy weapons like rocket launchers and machine guns.  You could take your enemies out from a safe distance, you could hack your way through backdoor entrances, taking over CCTV cameras and door controls.  You could sneak your way through the game, a-la Splinter Cell non-lethally subduing your opponents or you could even talk your way through situations.  Working your charisma to gain access to otherwise restricted areas or diffusing situations that may otherwise require a fight.

          And of course, like most great RPGs inventory was as much of a puzzle as the rest of the game.  It's a great limitation, requiring you to decide on exactly what you need to move forward, carrying only what's necessary and not just everything you can get your hands on.  Using a grid style inventory system like Diablo and Resident Evil, rearranging your contents sometimes allows you to carry a few extra things, so you find yourself in this one screen always Tetris'ing your belongings to make room for one extra box of bullets or that key card you desperately need to move forward. 

           I've been meaning to go back and play Deus Ex for a while now; ever since I realised just now much I enjoy games like this and Fallout.  I still have my copy, plus it's on sale right now at Humble Bundle .com, so I'm definitely going to make the move sooner than later.  There was also a recent sequel Deus Ex: Human Revolution that was released for consoles and PC, which was a very faithful addition to the series and I played through a couple times since it was so absolutely solid and beautiful.  





No comments:

Post a Comment