Tuesday 8 July 2014

DAY 189 / GAME 189 Mario Kart 7

DAY 189 / GAME 189


Mario Kart 7


      When it comes to the Mario Kart games, I suffer from a big gap in ownership.  Although I've played most all of them, I didn't buy into a Kart title between the first one and Mario Kart Wii.  (Which is, the 6th in the series I believe?)  To recap, that would include Mario Kart 64, Super Circuit (for GameBoy Advance), Double Dash (For the Gamecube) and Mario Kart DS.  (For the Nintendo DS.)




        Near the end of it's lifetime I had finally bought a Wii.  Denise really wanted Wii-Fit and Mario Kart Wii, so we decided to put the money aside and finally grab one.  Truth be told I never played much of Mario Kart Wii unless I was playing with her.  It seemed like a really solid Kart title, but Denise really played it much more than I did.  Not long afterwards though, Denise bought me a Nintendo 3DS for my birthday.  I'm having a hard time remember if Mario Kart 7 was out yet when I first received my 3DS, but I know it was not long at all before I grabbed a copy.

       I remember hearing about how Mario Kart DS was quite possibly the best version of Mario Kart out there.  But I never did own a Nintendo DS, so when Mario Kart 7 was released, although I could have gone back and purchased MK:DS for my 3DS instead, I figured it had to be at least as good if not better.  Now, it turns out that although it was really great, 7 was not a replacement for DS and I should have grabbed it anyway.  But nevertheless, Mario Kart 7 ended up being easily the best Mario Kart game I had played since the original SNES title.  Not only does the new Nintendo handheld produce fantastic graphics, but this new Kart title adds a ton of fantastic features and continues to maintain the original Mario Kart quality that you find in every title to date.



      Mario Kart 7 is one of those games that is perfect for a mobile platform.  Since you play only a few laps at a time, or at most a few races at most in a Grand Prix session, it's easy to pick up quickly when you are out or on the train and can't dedicate much time between saves.  So needless to say I've played this a lot.  It's also a favorite for Leia and at 4 years old she does pretty good.  During a huge road trip from Toronto to Key West, Florida, Leia played this for hours on end in the car.  I was pretty amazed how well it kept her attention.


       Mario Kart 7 added a ton of new features to the series.  Carts now had a retractable hang glider which means now some sections include little bits of gliding, which is a ton of fun.  Carts also have a the kind of customization you see in Mario Kart Wii and 8, being able to switch out different kinds of wheels, gliders and bases.  In fact, a lot of what made Mario Kart 7 so great transferred almost directly over to the new Mario Kart 8, making one of the best Mario Karts now available to the home console market.  So Mario Kart 8 players who are curious if they are missing out if they haven't played 7, really aren't.  With the exception of being portable of course.  7 and 8 even feature the same gyroscopic controls which is great since it once allowed me to play one-handed while donating blood, keeping my attention enough so that I didn't get sick.  

No comments:

Post a Comment