Tuesday 15 July 2014

DAY 196 / GAME 196 Forza 3

DAY 196 / GAME 196


Forza 3


      I'm going to finish off this series of posts with the last Forza title I've played to date.  Even though they're up to Forza 5 now, (on the Xbox One) I have yet to get around to playing either it or the previous title (4).  Mind you, I really do want to play Forza 4 simply for the fact that it has portions that are voiced over by Jeremy Clarkson.  
    


       The Forza series hadn't made any wrong moves to date and Forza Motorsport 3 was no exception.  Graphics were refined, car lists improved, physics and handling better than before.  Turn 10 also added a number of new features to the game.  Features that really improved the existing gameplay platform.  This included a much needed (albeit seemingly cheat-worthy addition) rewind function; allowing you to rewind your race a short bit to correct for mistakes.  Which is a really nice feature when you're deep into a 15 minute long circuit and someone walks in front of the TV or the AI does something terrible.

My own in game photo capture

     Forza 3 also added a very detailed in-car camera.  This in-car camera contains a ton of interior car detail, which adds a new level of realism to this racing sim.  I've mentioned this before about Need For Speed: Shift, it's really fantastic to be seated inside a car you will more than likely never see the interior of in your lifetime.  And I can really vouch for the quality of the recreation, since the game contains a BMW 135i and the details are spot on with my own BMW 128i, which is virtually the same car.  In fact, when I was considering purchasing my BMW, one of the things I did was load up Forza 3 and purchase it in-game.  It was like having a second test drive, one where I could both take my time and let loose on a track setting.  

Another of my in game photo captures

      Forza 3 also enhanced it's in-game photo mode.  Allowing you to take high-quality pictures which use a higher poly-count car model and apply a number of rendering passes for reduces aliasing and increased control over depth of field and motion blur.  The results are near-photo realistic captures that you can upload to the Forza Motorsport site and download for your own use.  
        Forza 3 is quite possibly my favorite racing simulator to date.  I eventually picked up Gran Turismo 5 after it was finally released and I felt like Polyphony Digital strayed away from the focus of the series.  (Though I do miss the licensing tests, believe it or not.)  Forza offers a fantastic car selection, amazing controls and a great host of tracks.  If Forza 4 hadn't stuck at full price for so long, I'd probably have it by now.  I may have to jump on it sooner or later.  Though, the more I read about it, I feel like there's a lot in Forza 3 I haven't even seen yet.  I really should just go back and play some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment