Friday 4 July 2014

DAY 185 / GAME 185 The Sims

DAY 185 / GAME 185


The Sims


      The Sims is some glorious sin like participating in gossip and watching obese people's lives on TV.  There is very little value to it; it's the empty carbs of gaming.  Nevertheless there is no denying it's value as absolute entertainment.
       The Sims, for those who don't know, is the next level of simulation from Sim City.  In Sim City you build and manage a whole city with hundreds of tiny people who go from home to work and back again.  In The Sims, you are now controlling the lives of those people more directly.  You start off with a house in a little neighborhood and a number of little people to control.  They sleep, cook, eat, relax, go to work and use the toilet.  Not always on the toilet.  Little thought bubbles pop up over their heads and it's up to you to direct them in whatever manner you feel will fulfill those wishes.  So when your Sim is hungry, you can direct them to order takeout, cook on the stove or grab a quick snack.  Depending on their skills, they may have a hard time with any of these things.  It is not uncommon for a Sim to cause a kitchen fire cooking macaroni.

      In a lot of ways The Sims is just a virtual dollhouse.  Not that I have a lot of experience playing with dolls mind you, but I would imagine The Sims is very similar to how things would end up for me.  You see, The Sims don't take much to get stressed out.  I once placed the queen bed for my Sim couple up against the wall.  Trouble started when the wife wouldn't roll over to the wall side of the bed, blocking the husband.  He wouldn't get in bed so he stayed up all night.  He fell asleep standing up and after a few days he peed his pants on the lawn while taking out the garbage.  Sims is really about moments like this, for me at least.  Not making everyone act successfully, but instead trapping people in a pool, setting the house on fire, cheating with the neighbours and generally driving the Sims against each other.  God must have fun..

      I had a ridiculous conundrum when I first started out.  You see, I ended up with a friend's copy of this game.  He had just copied the install files over onto my computer (Which worked, oddly enough.) and with that, his save files.  Since I didn't quite know what was going on, I didn't think to start with a fresh game and instead started working form this save.  As things progressed, I noticed that my neighbors were coming in to my house and eating food out of my kitchen.  I also noticed that food left out spoiled very quickly.  As you can see, the camera view doesn't show close walls, only far ones.  Turned out whoever built the house before me actually just put a tile floor in the backyard with a kitchen in it.  There was no outer walls and people were just coming and going as they pleased.  Anyway, that's my Sims story.

     The Sims has become pretty popular over the years.  And although it seems that it probably just keeps appealing to the same original fanbase.  At part 4 now, they continue to update the graphics and release countless expansion packs.  You could honestly spend hundreds of dollars on the Sims if you were really into it.  I can't say I've played it past part 1, but I'd love to try out one of the more recent versions just to see how much they've changed over the years.


No comments:

Post a Comment