Sunday 13 July 2014

DAY 194 / GAME 194 Forza

DAY 194 / GAME 194


Forza


      194 games into my list and I still haven't talked about Forza.  I remember when the first commercials hit the TV, I had never heard of Forza yet and to be honest, they poorly represented the final product.  In the commercials, they introduced a variety of racers and their cars.  If I remember correctly, they were quoted saying 'this is my ride' or something of the like and the cars and drivers were of a wide range from all over the world.  It seemed to me that the game would be about choosing a racing path, a type and car and focusing on that.  Upgrading and customizing your car, making it yours.  Something I've always wanted to play.  Because as much fun as it is being able to race a huge variety of cars, being able to choose one and focus on it feels even better.  Cars have personality and it would be nice to have a game that is just like how you take time to choose the car you drive in real life, or race in real life; becoming attached to it overtime and learning all it's specifics in handling.

     Unfortunately Forza was nothing of the sort. Perhaps instead they were trying to show off the world wide range of cars and tracks available.  I was going to say 'online worldwide competition and leaderboards' as well, but the first Forza was on the original Xbox, when online play wasn't quite what it was today.  (Then again, the box does say 'online enabled'.  So maybe that was the case.)  Either way, in the end Forza turned out to be something of a special racer.  In truth, Forza took over where Gran Turismo left off.  At least for myself.  It featured all the same major elements, accurate real-life tracks and locations, fully licensed cars from a wide variety of manufacturers, realistic car modification and very realistic car handling.

      I've mentioned before how much I love the racing game genre.  And that I don't favour either the arcade style games with their over-the-top physics or the racing simulator style games more that each other.  I have a love for all.  With that in mind there is something very special about Forza and Gran Turismo and it's rooted in it's use of real licensed cars.  There's something really great about being able to drive real cars; everything from cars you may actually own, to cars you will never be able to own.  To be able to take those things you wish you could do, but are impossible, like racing at Laguna Seca in a McLaren F1 or the Nurburgring in a Honda Civic Si coupe.  

       Forza went on to become much more focused and accurate in the end than Gran Turismo.  I adore the available cars, tracks and modifications.  Forza is one of those games that I put aside for a while and then finally sit down to play again.  Knowing I will be in it for the long haul because once I get started, it's a long time before I finally put it down again.

No comments:

Post a Comment