Tuesday 22 July 2014

DAY 203 / GAME 203 Herzog Zwei

DAY 203 / GAME 203


Herzog Zwei


      I was never very good at Real Time Strategy games, but my Uncle had this one game for his Sega Genesis that I absolutely loved to play back in the day when we used to visit.  

    Herzog Zwei was nice because it really wasn't too complicated.  It was like playing Checkers instead of Chess.  Which is an especially potent comparison for myself since I never had the patience for Chess growing up, but loved me some Checkers.

     The goal in Herzog Zwei was to take over all the bases on the map.  Basically, it was a two player game in which you either play against the computer A.I., or another human player.  Though, the computer was pretty predictable at times and you could actually confuse the hell out of it; throwing it into a tantrum where it kinda freaked out, transforming back-and-forth and going in circles.  At which point you would laugh at the screen and say 'stupid computer', back at a time in which we tended to view computers are clunky and kinda dumb compared to today's smartphones and high-end consoles.

     For me though, Herzog Zwei was only partly about the strategy and almost completely about the idea that you controlled a giant transforming mech that can drop armaments across various landscapes as well as shoot to defend and attack opposing forces.  It really felt a bit like Robotech; with a similarly designed mech and F-14 tomcat style airplane mode.   Which I loved at the time.
     Gameplay was fun of course.  It was simple, if you understood the menus.  Order up different supports, (troops, tanks, hovercraft, turrets) and transport them to a base you want to take over.  Different terrain calls for different kinds of supports and each one can be programmed for different actions:  Defend, circle, attack, if I remember correctly..


           Herzog Zwei is another one of these old Genesis games I would have never heard of had my Uncle not owned a copy.  What with his modded Genesis and imported cartridges.  This was a fun little game pick up and play quick considering it's an RTS.  It's one of many old Genesis games I wish I still had a copy of.  Maybe someone can point me the way to a good emulator resource, since I'm really out of touch with those over the past decade.  That and I think I'm going to give AirMech a try when I get home today.  Apparently it's a new game that is basically an exact ripoff of Herzog Zwei, in all the best ways.

    




No comments:

Post a Comment