Saturday 26 July 2014

DAY 207 / GAME 207 Forgotten Worlds

DAY 207 / GAME 207


Forgotten Worlds


      The more I think back the more great games I start to remember that I had played on my Genesis as a kid.  For some reason I keep forgetting about Forgotten Worlds.
      Back in 1988 Capcom released into the arcades this fantasy-sci-fi shoot-em-up featuring two mega-muscley super-soldiers who fight through eight gods to save earth.  Now, I've never actually seen this in the arcades, but I did play a ton of the Sega version ported to the Genesis and I loved it.  Like a lot of older arcade titles, it didn't need a complex story and it didn't even have to make much sense.  It just needed to give you a reason to shoot up everything on the screen.  Which is easy when you're a big flying commando, spinning around, shooting every which way with unlimited reams of ammunition.


They don't even need shirts to save the world.
        Forgotten Worlds was a favorite between my brother and I.  At least, that's how I remember it.  On the Genesis, it worked well as a two-player game as you were not limited to a number of lives, but instead you were able to continue respawning after death, so long as both of you didn't die at the same time.  I'm guessing it was the best way to translate the game over from it's coin-eating brother in the arcades.  This was so effective that when my brother wasn't around to play with me, I actually used to still play it as a two-player game.  I plugged in the second controller, and used my foot to play second player.  All you needed to do was press two buttons at once, one to rotate your dude and another to continue firing.  It was genius.

       Forgotten Worlds was a pretty straight forward shoot-em-up.  You can float around the screen as it scrolls around you, in some levels left-to-right, in some upwards.  You can gather 'zennys' (pennies?) as currency from defeating enemies and use them to trade for weapons and armor upgrades to help you through the levels.  Each level is a different (somewhat) mythical theme and each one contains your typical shooter boss at the end.  And since the bosses are supposed to be gods, they are usually pretty massive and feature some epic designs.

          Forgotten Worlds was just unique enough that it will always stick with me, even if I hadn't seen it for decades.  And the more I go back and look at it I'd love to give it a try again sometime.  Turns out it's available on the Wii virtual console, so I may have to dig it up and see how it looks.


No comments:

Post a Comment