Sunday 24 August 2014

DAY 235 / GAME 235 Super Mario 3D Land

DAY 235 / GAME 235


Super Mario 3D Land

      I didn't wait that long to purchase a Nintendo 3DS handheld console, but when I did it seemed as if there were are ton of fantastic games out for it already.  Of course, not only did it play the extensive library of Nintendo DS and DSi games from the older generation which I never owned or played, but Nintendo had already published a great list of 3DS titles that I couldn't believe I missed.  This includes one of the finest Mario games I've ever played up until the release of Super Mario 3D World on the Nintendo Wii-U, Super Mario 3D Land.  



      I was extremely happy when they released a sequel to this on the Wii-U because this was easily one of the most fantastic Mario titles I've ever played.  It made the effort to combine the gameplay of the newer 3D titles such as Super Mario 64 with the gameplay of the older titles like Super Mario World on the SNES.  The overall effect is much nicer than their attempts with the New Super Mario Brothers series which instead tries to recreate Super Mario World with a 3D engine but stuck to a 2D plane.  For me, something about the overall controls and lack of tight-tight pixel accuracy you found in the older games felt sloppy overal.  Though perhaps that's something that only bothered me.

     Instead, Super Mario 3D Land eliminates the idea of a full free-roaming world like in Mario 64 and sticks you on a more linear set of levels like you'd find in the older games.  The gameplay and level design however take full advantage of the idea that you are moving in 3 dimensions and the end result is a set of levels that are fresher, newer and possibly more creative that any of the previous sets of games.  This is exceptionally apparent when you use the stereoscopic 3D mode the console provides.  The enhanced depth perception means certain platforming puzzles are much more visually coherent and the whole thing simply looks that much better.  This is really noticeable when you've first played 3D Land and then purchase and play 3D World and find yourself wishing for that 3D slider on your screen.

     All this and Super Mario 3D Land contains some of the best elements of all the Mario games in terms of controls (wall jumps, etc.), music (some great remixes of the best tracks) and items.  3D Land was the first (that I know of) introduction of the Boomerang pickup which is extremely handy as both a weapon and for reaching switches and other pickups.  Overall, I simply can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this game.  If for some reason you own a 3DS and don't own this game I'd say you are silly and then I'd say 'purchase it already'.  Unless you hate Mario, but who hate's Mario?

No comments:

Post a Comment