Saturday 2 August 2014

DAY 214 / GAME 214 Resident Evil 1

DAY 214 / GAME 214


Resident Evil 1


      Next on the list would be Resident Evil 1.  First released on the PlayStation in 1996, this was the definitive survival horror game of our time.  Now, I hadn't actually played this when it first came out.  I'm not sure if I was aware of it's existence until two years later when Resident Evil 2 was released.  RE:2, which was the first of the series we (my brother and I) had played had a much more prominent advertising campaign and had definitely grabbed our attention whereas the first one was unfortunately overlooked.  After thoroughly enjoying Resident Evil 2, we did go out of our way to rent the original; just to see what we had missed out on.  We certainly didn't expect the (hilarious) live action introductory cinematic or the exceptionally bad voice acting.  And at the time it really just felt like more of the same so after a short playthrough without any ability to save our progress, we put it down pretty much for good.  Leaving well-enough alone.

       It was four years later, in 2002 that I had honestly re-experienced Resident Evil 1.  In the same year that Nintendo and Capcom finally released the prequel, Resident Evil 0 for the GameCube, they had also re-released an updated version of Resident Evil 1.  This version had been rebuilt almost completely from ground-up.  They replaced the live-action cutscenes with fantastic new animated sequences, rewrote portions of the script and recorded all new dialog.  They also included freshly rendered backgrounds and an updated game engine that rendered out the real-time bits at a much closer match, along with a special method of integrating full motion video into the background to allow for lighting effects, rain and other moody environmental touches.

       This game really does set the standard in which all the other in the series follow.  And although that's me speaking having not truly played much of the original and assuming that fancy graphics and gameplay tweaks aside, that it's not too far from the original.  I'm assuming (from what I've played) that the locations, overall script, characters and plot, monsters and music were the same.  And though the new version shines so brightly that the old one is hardly playable in comparison, it's the long creepy hallways, cawing of crows outside the windows, rainy forested setting outside and slowly revealing secret lab inside that I will always remember when I think about this game.

        I love so much about this game.  I love the intense horror aspect of it all, the slightly sci-fi elements, the blend of action into it all, the big guns and limited ammo, thought provoking puzzles and haunting locations.  I love the quiet moments that let you enjoy your surroundings punctuated by the terrifying moments that include everything from your run-of-the-mill wandering zombies to giant snakes and zombie sharks.  I can't say (as some people do) that I want Capcom to return to this original style as I do so thoroughly enjoy each and every iteration of the Resident Evil series.  But truth be told, I would love to see what they could do with today's technology and the older style of game.  Be it in the form of a complete rebuild of say Resident Evil 2, or a whole new game we haven't seen yet.  A man can dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment