Saturday 31 May 2014

DAY 151 / GAME 151 Ghostbusters (Sega Genesis)

 DAY 151 / GAME 151


Ghostbusters (Sega Genesis)


      Back when my brother and I first got our Sega Genesis one of the things we used to do was borrow stacks of games from my uncle to play through at home.  One day, on my birthday, my uncle called me up and told me to choose one of the games I had borrowed to keep it as a gift.  Which was pretty damned cool.  So I looked at the stack I had sitting by my Sega and picked my favorite title that I hadn't beat yet.  Ghostbusters.
        Growing up, my brother and I loved Ghostbusters; both the movies and the animated series.  And although this Ghostbusters game for the Sega Genesis may not be the best representation of the films, it contained enough relevant content that it made me happy.



           Ghostbusters the movie wasn't exactly an action film, I guess you may call it a 'paranormal comedy'.  So your choices are somewhat limited when it comes down to basing a game off the content.  Now, you'd think that if you wanted to create a comedy game you'd have made an adventure title where writing and dialog are up front.  But instead developer Compile in Japan made the movie into a side scrolling shooter/platformer title.  In the end though, they managed to make a pretty solid title that felt like although it contained a lot of original content, still kept on style with the original property.  Except the character select screen.  That art is terrible.  Only Ray looks like himself.  And where the heck is Winston?  Believe it or not they skipped his character in the game.  It's like the people responsible only watched the first half of the movie..

       Ghostbusters starts with you getting a few calls from potential clients who want you to clear out the haunting in their buildings.  You begin with 4 houses to choose from and can attack it any way you wish.  Though each of them vary quite a bit in difficulty and there is a typical easy-to-hard order which is the best way to tackle it.  Each building is haunted differently, one house is full of spiritual fire and (oddly enough) is pitch black; requiring purchase of night-vision goggles to properly complete it.  One building is frozen over, and I can't quite remember the other two, except that they all also varied in size as well.  The little old lady's house being the smallest and the high-rise apartment being the largest.  

       Each building contains a few mini-boss ghosts that you need to defeat before making your way to the final boss ghost and then of course tons of little ghosts littered all over the level.  With the exception of hauling in the final spirit and trapping it after defeating it, for extra cash, you never use your typical particle beam and trap system.  I guess it would make the game silly, since you'd be hauling around tons of traps, or there would have to be only one or two ghosts per level.  Instead, you find yourself using various anti-ghost guns like the '3-way shot', 'shell' and your usual single-shot proton gun.

              Ghostbusters was a fun, kinda dark, silly 16-bit title that I loved.  Everything from the stubby little caricatures of Peter, Ray and Egon (No Winston???) to the creepy 80's ghost designs and the terrific chiptune soundtrack.  It was a little stray from the movies, but as far as early 8 and 16-bit game go for movie-tie-ins, this really was pretty good.  When I recently hooked up my Genesis again, this was definitely one of the first cartridges I tossed in.





No comments:

Post a Comment