Thursday 15 May 2014

DAY 135 / GAME 135 Need For Speed: Most Wanted

DAY 135 / GAME 135

Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2012)


          I may have a hard time writing this post because as it stands all I want to do is play this game right now.  I put it off for a while, almost two years, but eventually I came around when I saw it for $20 for the Wii-U; a system I've been itching to try a racer on.  



      With the exception of Shift 2, it's been a while since I've picked up a Need for Speed game.  In fact, I just realised that I hadn't played more than a demo of a NFS game since part 3, Hot Pursuit back in 1998.  EA released Need For Speed titles so regularly it was hard to keep up.  Since Hot Pursuit, they've released almost one new game a year, sometimes two a year to this date.  They've even used old titles without labeling them as sequels as was the case with the new Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted.  I've tried a lot of demos of NFS games; Need For Speed: Carbon, Underground and Pro Street.  Plus they have even more I've never touched; Need For Speed: World, Undercover, Nitro and The Run.  But there's something about Most Wanted trailer that really caught my eye and I decided it was time to get back on the wagon.



     Need For Speed: Most Wanted is one of the newer games from the series that isn't created by EA and instead by Criterion.  Not surprisingly it actually feels more like Burnout Paradise, also created by Criterion, right down to the similarly laid out open world map and 'Takedown' system.  This is not a complaint by any means.  Burnout Paradise is an incredibly fun racer, only lacking the graphical quality and brand name cars we now see in Most Wanted.  (Also, not necessarily a complaint.)  
      Unlike most racers, NFW: Most Wanted is open world.  Which means from the point the game starts, you can just up and drive throughout the city.  You can drive around and look for hidden cars to unlock, billboards to crash through for points and shortcuts for later races.  You can drive to start locations for various races and then launch them from there rather than in a menu.  (Although, unlike Burnout: Paradise, you can still access them via a menu system.)  Half of the fun is just driving around the city.  A gorgeously designed city with incredible camera and lighting effects, a fantastic day/night cycle and fairly decent traffic AI.



     Most Wanted not only looks incredibly gorgeous, it handles great.  Though, horrible controls haven't been much of an issue in modern racers.  EA has also licensed a number of fantastic cars.  It may not be the 100+ featured in Need For Speed: Shift 2, but it still has a nice little selection of supercars that contain some of my faves.  They've included a few classics including an older Porsche 911 and Lamborghini Countach as well as some modern works of art:  The Bugatti Veyron, McLaren F1, Nissan GT-R35, Lamborghini Aventador, Ford GT, Lexus LFA and the Porsche 918 Spyder.  They've also included a few really special, somewhat obscure cars, just to make me happy, which includes the Ariel Atom, BAC Mono and the Caterham R500.  Man, I get goosebumps just thinking of that car list.



     Need For Speed: Most Wanted is one of those racers that is just plain fun.  If I didn't have to get up for work I would have absolutely no reason to stop playing this game.  The Wii-U version is also a really nice version to have.  Being able to have the map displayed on the gamepad screen is a bonus.  Plus, the Wii-U version has some bonus features such as the ability to change your car from the gamepad screen, disable traffic and change from day to night and vise versa.  There's even a 'co-driver' mode that allows a second person to help control the car.  With that in mind, Leia has played this with me a few times.  One of her best lines came about when I was being chased by the cops and she told me I should pull over.  I had to explain to her that in this game, unlike real life, that would be a bad idea.




No comments:

Post a Comment