Sunday 18 May 2014

DAY 138 / GAME 138 City of Heroes / City of Villains

DAY 138 / GAME 138

City of Heroes / City of Villains


          There's only a few MMOs that I spent any real time on.  Final Fantasy Online, World of Warcraft and this one; City of Heroes.  I can't remember how I had first heard of this game, I don't ever really remember many, if any of my friends who played this as well.  But I do remember spotting it on sale for $10 at BestBuy and with the free first month most of these MMOs include, I figured it was worth a shot even if I only got that one month's worth of play out of it.


      Turns out I got a lot more than a month's worth of gaming out of this purchase.  Though, I can't remember for sure, but I think I played City of Heroes on and off for about a year and then when the expansion City of Villains came out, an additional year.  Of course, I'm sure about 90% of this time was spent building hero after hero and villain after villain in the character creator.  With the ability to create up to 8 characters per server and up to 12 with the expansion at no extra cost (Some games like FFXI charge and extra fee for more than 1 character per server.) you can certainly believe I filled up every available slot in every available server.



      Seriously though, I made an absolute ton of different heroes and villains.  Men and women, big and tall, cyborgs, mutants, mystics, good and evil.  Anytime I had an idea, I made someone new.  Most of them I'd run through the first few levels in order to get an idea of whether or not I wanted to flesh them out more and if I really liked them or not.  In the end I only had a few I stuck with and levels seriously.  And even then, the few that I did level seriously after over a year I only made to about level 20 of a possible 50.  

        Even after all the time I spent in this game, like most MMOs I only saw a fraction of the world that was offered to me.  Typical of this kind of game, exploring the entirety of the maps presented require hours upon hours of dedication.  Though, one of the nice things about City of Heroes/Villains is that as you reach a certain level, about 15 or 20 depending on what kind of powers you chose, you start to receive different ways to travel quickly through the levels.  High jumping, teleportation, high speed running, flight and perhaps something else I am forgetting.  One of the big benefits of gaining these powers, is that you could now travel throughout the world all the while avoiding the horrible enemies within.  Considering that most of them would destroy you in one hit if you weren't leveled high enough.  



        I plugged a ton of hours into both City of Heroes and City of Villains, the concept worked well, played great as a single player MMO and kept itself pretty unique as far as both massive online games go and as superhero games go in general.  This of course, was before the Marvel MMO game came out, which I never tried but am curious how close the two were.  Considering how solid CoH and CoV handled, I'm surprised they closed doors the other year.  I really wanted to hop back in one last time before the servers shut down for good, but I never could find the time.  It was probably best to leave to memory anyway, like most MMOs.   





No comments:

Post a Comment