Monday 26 May 2014

DAY 147 / GAME 147 Torchlight

 DAY 147 / GAME 147


Torchlight


      While Blizzard was working for years on the release of Diablo III, ex-Blizzard employees were working on a Diablo clone that was arguably better than the original.  I remember hearing a lot of great things about Torchlight shortly after it's release a few years back and so when I saw it on for cheap through Xbox Live Arcade's holiday sale I was sure to pick it up to try out later.  
     I didn't realize when I had first purchased Torchlight just how similar it was to the Diablo series.  But once I started it up, it was immediately obvious.  Though sporting a more stylized character design and a cleaner, more colourful level design; Torchlight featured a very similar UI layout, character selection screen, skill tree design, soundtrack, writing, play style, camera view and well, pretty much everything else.  I mean, if it were called Diablo III, it could have easily passed for the direct sequel of Diablo II without much of any question.  

          With Diablo III still seeming like ages away from release, I was really excited for something to bridge the gap.  Torchlight filled those shoes like Sasquatch at a Big and Tall.  Uh.  
      But seriously, when Diablo III finally did come out and I finally got in installed after a new videocard purchase and everything I really just wanted to play more Torchlight.  Aside from being shorter that Diablo II and III, it really was more enjoyable.  It felt well rounded, well cleaned up and encompassed everything I loved about Diablo.  If this point hasn't been made yet already, Torchlight is what Diablo III should have been.  

       Matt Uelmen, who scored Diablo II and III, lent his services to Runic Games to help score Torchlight.  Truth be told, the majority of the amazing atmosphere in these games is derived from the soundtrack.  Uelmen created an original score which I found immediately recognizable as a Diablo soundtrack and was the initial reason I began to think that perhaps Torchlight and Diablo were related somehow.  Of course, I looked into it and discovered what I know now about how the game was led by a two co-designers of Diablo and Diablo II, along with a few other ex-Blizzard employees.

            Torchlight's only downfall was that it was, in a sense, bite-sized.  Though only a $15 downloadable title, I put quite a few hours into it.  It only offered one set of dungeons, plus a game+ set of dungeons and only three playable classes.  But it was solid and offered some nice new mechanics such as the addition of an animal helper.  A helper who could run to town and sell goods you collect as you make your way through the levels, allowing you to continue without taking a break or waste scrolls of Town Portal. 

        As much as I loved Torchlight I've yet to try the sequel.  I own a copy, but haven't had a chance to really get into it yet.  Which is funny to think about since I was very impatiently awaiting Torchlight 2 ever since I first discovered it's upcoming release.  Nevertheless, any Diablo fans out there who still haven't tried Torchlight should definitely dig it up on Steam or XBLA and give it a whirl.  It's certainly worth the price.  It's also frequently on sale on Steam, so keep your eye out and you'll probably get it for $5.







No comments:

Post a Comment