Sunday 30 March 2014

DAY 89 / GAME 89 Fable 2

DAY 89 / GAME 89

Fable 2


          It was a while before I purchased an Xbox.  I had a PS2 and a Gamecube for the longest time and put off buying the Microsoft until Halo 2 came out and I figured I may as well.  When I did finally get one, I ended up getting the crystal edition Xbox that came bundled with copies of Crimson Skies and Fable.  Now, I remember Peter Molyneux talking big about Lionhead Studio's new game Fable and I gathered it was pretty interesting.  But I actually never ended up playing it.  I watched a roommate of mine play through my copy a bit, but never did get into it.  

            Then Fable 2 was released for the Xbox 360.  The art and the concepts for it were gorgeous.  So much about it looked incredible.  And yet, it was a while before I got around to picking it up.  Eventually I got it on bargain, or something of the like and I played it for a little bit, but for some reason it didn't stick with me.  So I put it aside for a while until a friend of mine starting going on about how great a game it was.  I figured it deserved another try, so I tossed it back in the tray.

           Thank God I did.  Because in the end Fable II turned out to be one of my absolute favorite games.  I can't remember what it was about it that put me off on the first try, but all I can remember is how amazing the entire experience was.  Fable II had such incredible art direction.  It's one of the most fantastic fantasy settings I've ever experienced.  The world of Albion is full of charm, in it's most muddy depths and it's most colourful heights.  The designs are all around brilliant, from the fine details on the swords and muskets to the costumes, people, buildings and creatures.  

      What makes it even more fantastic is the uniqueness of the world itself.  Fable II is the opposite of cookie-cutter.  The character designs range from beautiful to hideous.  You can run around the towns and charm people, act the hero, or piss them off and fart in their face.  (Literally.)  You can make love, catch diseases, get pregnant, or get someone pregnant.  You could be gay, you could be straight, you could dress up, dress down, or cross dress.  Your strength or weakness, magical power, promiscuity and morality all show in your physical features.  You start as a child, a girl or a boy and you make your way to become the king or queen of a land full of people you've influenced one way or another.  

        In the end I loved this game.  It still looks gorgeous.  It sounds amazing. The soundtrack is smooth and calm and fantastic.  The gameplay itself is as simple as a brawler, but allows for more complex stuff on the side.  You can buy up real estate and rent it out.  Make friends and enemies, build up a library of emotes and a wardrobe to match.  Lionhead and Molyneux really made something special with this game and I'll always have a special place for it.





No comments:

Post a Comment