Friday 7 March 2014

DAY 66 / GAME 66 James Pond 2

DAY 66 / GAME 66

James Pond 2

           What on earth compelled me to buy this game I will never know.  I remember trading this game in at one point, (Something I never did again, ever.) and even the guy at behind the counter was stunned by it.  I guess it was just this period where I wanted basically any game that looked like Mario, because I didn't have a Nintendo, so I tried to fill that void.

         As ridiculous as the cover looks on this though, it was a pretty good title.  Even though it felt like the designers threw every sprite in the history of 16-bit gaming at you over the course of the fifty levels..
       The game was a typical side-scrolling platformer with Mario style item blocks and the ability to jump on your enemy's head.  This was your only attack.  The big thing that made this game a bit different from other games was this bizarre mechanic where you could stretch your torso to an almost infinite height.  The idea was that you could reach the ceiling in a level, allowing you to cross gaps or reach otherwise inaccessible areas.  



             I didn't realize, but I guess this game was released on way more platforms than just the Genesis.  Apparently it was available on Atari, Amiga, Master System, Game Gear,  SNES, PC, C64, GBA, DS and now PS3.  I have no idea how such an awkwardly quirky title got so much backing from publishers.  
               Like I said though, in the end it was still a pretty fun game.  It wasn't super easy and I definitely never beat the whole thing.  With 50 levels, it took a long time to go through.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it didn't have the option to save, so getting anywhere in this game would have been quite a feat.  



              With 50 levels there was quite a variety.  Each level had some different theme.  There was anything the developers could come up with really.  Pirates, candy, jello, circus, teddy bears, bubble baths..  Just the weirdest stuff.  There's even a level where you can fly inside of a bathtub, for some reason.  

             It's hard to sell this one.  I think if you never played it, you'd never understand why it was so great.  Heck, I'm having a hard time remembering why it was so great.  I just remember I had a ton of fun playing it, even if it felt like a big mish-mash of content.  And even if the best part was holding the button that extended your torso in the level select screen until you reached the very top, which took a very long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment