Tuesday 18 March 2014

DAY 77 / GAME 77 Rainbow Six: Vegas

DAY 77 / GAME 77

Rainbow Six: Vegas


          A few years back I attended a Ubisoft hosted conference in Montreal called ADAPT.  There was portfolio reviews and various courses for artists in both film and gaming.  One of the courses I took was presented by a 3D animator from Ubisoft who was working on the latest installment of Rainbow Six.  
       He had a few shots of Rainbow Six: Vegas and talked about how they had army guys instruct them on the proper way to rappel from a helicopter.  He showed us video of the animation team taping themselves practicing breach and clear tactics to better understand the actions and to drive the programmers in the room across the hall nuts.

       Shortly after I got back from Montreal I started to see announcements for the new Tom Clancy game Rainbow Six: Vegas.  I hadn't played a Rainbow Six game since the first one.  My brother had showed me some of Rainbow Six 3, which was quite a bit different from the original.  The original R6 had you laying out an exact tactical plan for a six member squad, then sitting back while it went into action.  Whereas Rainbow Six 3 was more like Vegas; A FPS game where you had squad control actions available to you.  



       Rainbow Six: Vegas was incredible.  It was one of the first few games I had gotten for my Xbox 360 and I had just purchased an HDTV and proper 5.1 surround system around the same time so I really got the whole experience.  The game looked fantastic.  A bunch of the game takes place in Las Vegas, so there's a few levels where you fly in via helicopter and fastrope down to your location so you get a great view of the strip.  R6:Vegas also used a combination of 3rd and 1st person and a cover system that functioned great back when it was still a new thing.  



      Rainbow Six: Vegas was a pretty tough game, but in a good way.  It forced you to strategize in order to properly complete each enemy engagement without getting completely destroyed.  Of course, you can plenty of tools at your disposal.  You can snake-cam through doorways, mark your enemy, prioritize targets and assign tasks to your teammates.  Then make the call, breach and clear a room with precision.  It also featured a great multiplayer mode, which I only tried the once and a 'terrorist hunt' mission mode which were fun single missions that gave you a bit more to play after you'd beat the main story.

      I really loved this game.  It's solid, everything feels very well researched and tangible.  The controls and tight and so is the cover system.  The weapons are clean and reliable and your team does what they're told and don't bug out or anything when performing commands.  I had a ton of fun with this game and the second one too.  I read they are working on a third, but it got scrapped and is getting re-worked because they weren't happy with it.  I totally pick this game up now and again if I just want to play a solid tactical shooter.  Like, tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment