Monday 10 March 2014

DAY 69 / GAME 69 Target Earth

DAY 69 / GAME 69

Target Earth


          I borrowed this one from my uncle.  I'm not sure why I never tried to find a copy of this one for myself, because I sure loved it.  Target Earth was a side scrolling shooter where you controlled a giant mech suit in order to fight in a war to protect Earth from invading forces.  It was extremely difficult, but there was a fantastic cheat that unlocked all the weapons and made you invincible.  


The Japanese Cover had significantly better artwork.
         Target Earth was full of cool designs.  You fight in a few different locations, including a ground operation, a few space battles amongst giant destroyer ships, the inside of an underground base and one level where you are dropped into the planet surface from low-orbit.  There's a real variety of mechs and other ships, including these great little workers at the start that look a lot like the power loader design from Aliens.  There were a few cutscene sequences which really showed of the designs in more detailed art frames and showed off the anime stylings.  

           Target Earth had this great soundtrack.  There were only a handful of tracks, but they were solid.  It had a bit of a metal feel to it and a bit of Japanese anime feel to it.  Definitely appropriate for a mech war shooter.  
             Target Earth also had this great hidden two player mode.  I can't remember exactly, but something about plugging in a second controller at just the right time, or perhaps it was related to the unlimited weapon cheat.  But basically, once activated, the second player could control any random AI that was onscreen.  Sometimes you'd hit start and end up controlling one of the power loaders, sometimes it would be a fellow mech with full weapon control and everything.  It was a pretty handy cheat to have when you have a brother.  It was about as useful as the 2 player mode in Sonic 2, where you could control Tails.  Just enough to satisfy your younger brother.

          As usual, I'd love to see someone take this and update it slightly.  Same game with new art.  I'd really love to see a band like Metroid Metal take this on and rescore the soundtrack.  That would be fantastic.  I don't think this is available on Wii Virtual Console, but I'd love to at least have a copy to play now.  I'll probably just have to be satisfied with a ROM for my emulator.

No comments:

Post a Comment