Tuesday 11 March 2014

DAY 70 / GAME 70 Dishonored

DAY 70 / GAME 70

Dishonored


          I kept putting this game on the back-burner since I only really heard bits and pieces about it, none that were strikingly special.  Eventually a friend picked this up and explained to me exactly what it was and why it was so great and I quickly jumped on board.  
         Dishonored was a bit of a sleeper hit for me.  I had no idea I was going to enjoy it as much as I did.  Enough that I made two subsequent playthroughs without putting it down halfway through the second go to jump to another title.  I've only done that with a handful of games recently including Dead Space 2 and Mass Effect 2. 



           Dishonored's levels each felt like a complex problem with multiple solutions.  So many fantastic solutions.  With the exception of the introductory level, you can go through the entire game without killing a single person.  Or you can slaughter every last one.  I personally love a game that allows for proper non-lethal solutions.  But I can assure you I tried both.  It was also fantastic that the manner in which you make your way through an area changes how it appears when you revisit it later in the game.  Creating mayhem means that guards are doubled, rocket towers built and best of all, the rat population increases.  Finding creative, especially non-lethal solutions to the missions always feels like a very rewarding accomplishment and for me is the most exciting part of the game.



          The whole game has a fantastic Victorian Era design.  Victorian with a twist.  Ships haul live whales to harvest their oil; oil that fuels most of the world.  Troops carry bows and arrows, explosives and early design rifles and pistols.  The city is sectioned off and controlled using 'walls of light'; electrified checkpoints that allow select people to pass while others are vaporized.  And guards patrol high above in 'tallboy' armored stilts, which may be silly but look awesome.

          If you enjoyed Thief, you'd enjoy this.  If you like open-ended missions with varying solutions, you'd like this.  And if you like games with fantastic design, the ability to slaughter or save, crazy mystic abilities and tons of whale oil, you'll want to play this.  Man, I loved it.  Way more than I thought I was going to.  Maybe if I'm lucky, they'll make a sequel.  Or maybe I'll just go back and play it yet again.

Also:  I had no idea whale oil was a real thing.  Turns out, it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment