Monday 17 March 2014

DAY 76 / GAME 76 Alien 3 (Sega Genesis)

DAY 76 / GAME 76

Alien 3 (Sega Genesis)


          Around the same time Alien 3 was released in theaters they had released a series of games for various consoles.  Now, as a huge Alien fan from a very young age, I was very excited when the third part was released in theaters.  My dad however, who let us see the first and second movies refused outright to take us to this one.  I never got a straight answer to why, but in retrospect we were probably too young anyway.
           Now, before I had a chance to finally watch the movie when it was released on VHS, Alien 3 was released as a video game.  I can't remember if I found out about it on my own, or if the first time I saw this was when my uncle was playing it.  But I do remember that I had someone pick it up for me because the first day I got a chance it play it was late at night when I got home.  


             I remember my brother was telling me about this game when I had gotten home.  He had a chance to play it before I did that day and he told me about how the levels had a time limit and if you didn't rescue all the captives in time chestbursters burst out of their chests.  So here I am, it's super late at night, everyone went to sleep and I'm playing this for the first time.  I'm having a hard time finding all the captive survivors and I notice the clock is counting down.  It's about to hit zero and in my head, I didn't want to witness this horrifying event so I bolted for the Sega and shut it off.

               Turns out it really wasn't as bad as I had imagined it.  But I still probably didn't need to see it late at night when I was 12.  The game itself was actually really good when I got into it.  It had very little to do with the movie itself, then again, the movie wouldn't make for much of a game back then.  For those who've seen it you'd remember that there was only one alien and no weapons in that movie.  This game is set on the same Fury 161 'prison planet' and pulls from the same visual designs for both the settings and some of the alien creatures.  But instead of looking for and trying to destroy one alien, you are fighting through hoards of various Aliens, including the dog type aliens, facehuggers, drones and guard aliens.  With a couple different mission types, including the primary one where you have a very limited amount of time to rescue a number of captives before they die.  

            I realized a few years later, after reading about the development of Alien 3 on the internet, that this game was being made while the movie was still in production and was probably based on an original script.  Reason being, there are these oxen carcasses hung up all over the kitchen areas of the game.  I had no idea at first what they were, but then I read about how originally the movie was scripted to include oxen which the prison staff used to help recover Ripley's EEV and haul it back to the prison.  One of the ox was attacked by a facehugger, instead of a dog as it was in the movie.  

             There were a few different variations on this title.  An NES version that was similar, but a bit broken, perhaps because it was adapted from this.  And an SNES version which is completely different.  I've only ever rented the SNES version, which is really good and has a slower pace but may be a better game overall.  I'd love to get a copy some day and complete it.  Either way, I love this Sega version.  It was fast-paced, full of the weapons from Aliens and set in some pretty cool levels.  I still love to pick this one up every once in a while and give it a good run.  I also still need to beat it, which is probably impossible anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment