Friday 31 January 2014

DAY 32 / GAME 32 F-Zero

DAY 32 / GAME 32

F-Zero

             I just recently received F-Zero for my Wii-U virtual console free from Club Nintendo.  I don't have a copy of this for my SNES, but I remember playing this quite a bit.  I can't remember if I did own a copy now or not.  One way or another I have some fond memories of playing this game back in the day.  

            
             F-Zero used the same Mode-7 system they used system wide on the SNES to push sprite rendering to do some crazy things.  It's the same look created in Super Mario Kart, only this time it's a super high speed track full of rocket powered racers instead of go karts putting around the Mushroom Kingdom.  It was very fast, ran super smooth and unlike other racing titles from the same time you couldn't curse and blame the game for your mistakes because all the controls reacted perfectly.  It really was a solid, timeless racer from a time when you couldn't really achieve realism, so you may as well have crafted something that was fun, unique and responsive.  
The 4 racer choices each with different attributes.

             I remember when F-Zero came out, I was in 5th or 6th grade and it was announced alongside a few other launch titles.  (If my memory serves me correctly.)  And I remember that it just really looked like a Nintendo game.  Super Nintendo titles all seemed to have this particular look.  It was something about the colour palettes and the big chunky sprites.  Maybe it was all due to one particular art director at the time, or perhaps a more technical reason but it meant a lot of games like this that would otherwise have a darker punkier future look instead have a more friendly charm.  When I boot this game up now I've found that one of the benefits of these common designs is that it's creates a more timeless game that is easier to decipher visually.
            I'm super glad I have this again to play on the Wii-U gamepad.  If anyone missed out on this in the past and want to try a nice piece of the past this is quick, cheap and easy to jump into.  And if you have a Club Nintendo account, it's only 200 points right now, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment