Wednesday 22 January 2014

DAY 22 / GAME 22 Broken Age (Act 1)

DAY 22 / GAME 22

Broken Age (Act 1)


              It almost seems silly to talk about Broken Age, but I just have to, it's too good.  If the heart and soul of LucasArts adventure games was reborn for modern gaming, we'd get this.  As far as I am concerned, Tim Schafer truly delivered what the set out to do with this game.  Of course, half of this project is the documentary that was intended to go alongside it, but that's something for another time and another outlet.

           I had set some seriously high expectations for Broken Age, so part of me really expected to be disappointed.



           As soon as I launched the game, all of that went away.  I was immediately charmed by it all, even the title screen;  Broken Age is a thing of beauty.  The game jumps right into the important stuff.  There's no tutorials getting in your way and no need for a lengthy cutscene to get you into the story.  The art instantly grabs you, everything looks like a beautiful painting.  And when you aren't busy taking in the scenery, you're absorbed by the dialogue.  I couldn't help but find myself chuckling out loud at the lines delivered by Elijah Wood and Jack Black (among others).  It's got all the terrific humor you'd expect out of Tim Schafer and Double Fine.  I honestly can't say enough good things.  And of course, there's the soundtrack.  Peter McConnell proved once again that he can put together music for any genre of game; scoring an excellent soundtrack which really makes the whole game feel like it has a much bigger budget than it did.
Vella in the beautiful cloud world of Merriloft.

            I knew as soon as I started playing it that Leia would enjoy this game too.  Then again, I really couldn't imagine otherwise.  She keeps asking to play the game about the 'boy and the girl' and the 'barfing tree'.  She was really into it, and when I wasn't at the keyboard she instantly knew how to play.  I guess it's just natural to enjoy a good adventure game.



            Broken Age fits perfect alongside all the other greatest adventure games.  Tim Schafer has proven again that he is a flawless game-genie, no, game-god.  Ok, I exaggerate.  But seriously, as far as I am concerned, Broken Age is another game for me that reinforces my faith in his works and the works of Double Fine.  A Double Fine purchase for me is always well worth it's penny.




"Beware the trees!" - Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment