Sunday 12 January 2014

DAY 12 / GAME 12 Crazy Taxi

DAY 12 / GAME 12

Crazy Taxi

           I'm not really sure why the Sega Dreamcast didn't compete better in the 6th generation console market.  There's a chance it just want advertised we'll enough, or that it was released too early.  But it certainly wasn't due to a lack of solid titles.  One of those unique titles was Crazy Taxi.   


            Crazy Taxi was bizarre as it was addictive.  It felt like it was developed by someone who tried to make a game about American culture without having ever stepped foot stateside.  The game was small, featuring only two levels and a handful of different  cars/drivers.  Designed as an arcade title, it really felt like a quarter muncher.  Your one and only goal is to start on a timer, picking up and dropping off fares as quickly as possible within a set time limit.  But it was easy to pick up and anyone could get the hang of it quickly.  I had a roommate in college who was addicted to my Dreamcast.  I think this game may have been the one that got him started.  I remember him coming out of I his room when I first started it up, lulled out by the sound of the Offspring soundtrack.



           Crazy Taxi was wacky and bizarre and definitely represented what made the Dreamcast so unique.  Titles like this one that you really wouldn't find anywhere else.  It really was a blast and the short time limits meant passing the controller around was easy which made for an enjoyable time for all.   Maybe one day someone will take the core of Crazy Taxi and make it into a fuller, larger game that's even more ridiculous.  I know I'd buy it.

1 comment:

  1. Great game...played it on your Dreamcast one weekend when you and Stephen were down to visit. Maniacal.

    ReplyDelete