Monday 20 January 2014

DAY 20 / GAME 20 Quackshot

DAY 20 / GAME 20

Quackshot

             So, I recently busted out my Sega Genesis.  I think it had been almost 10 years since I had it last hooked up.   The majority of the titles I own I have copies of that play on a newer system,  but there are a few titles I haven't managed to replace that I've been itching to play.  Road Rash, Ghostbusters, the Immortal, Mickey Mania and of course, Quackshot.  



             While everyone else was playing Ducktails for the NES, I had Quackshot, starring Donald Duck.  After playing both recently, (the rebuild version of Ducktails) Quackshot was, in my opinion, a better game.  It really was a solid title.  It had a terrific soundtrack and there were some really nice looking levels with a variety of locations and a puzzle-like need to return to different levels as you collect items that allows you to progress further.  You weapons are a collection of gun-fired plungers, newer ones allow you to access further areas by allowing you to create new ledges or handholds.  The best mechanic in the whole game though, is Donald's special attack.  You see, littered throughout the levels are these hot chili peppers.  Collecting one adds a notch to your 'temper' gauge and the second you pick up the last one you need to fill the gauge Donald has, what I can only describe as a spaz attack where he flails his arms and runs full speed screen right knocking anyone out of his way.  It's the most Donald thing I've ever seen in a Disney game.

              Back when I was in grade 5 and I was looking at getting this game,  friend of mine at school started telling me all about it.  He went on and on and everything he told me made it sound like the best game ever.  Turns out when I finally got it, he had made every word of it up.  He had clearly never played the game.  So at first I was super disappointed, you see I had built up this game in my mind, the most perfect game.  So it took me a while to warm up to it.  I ended up loving it nonetheless.  At the time, Disney had a lot of great properties geared to my age.  There was Tailspin, Ducktails, Bonkers, etc, and they were all very solid.  So this was right up my alley.  I'd say I'd love to see a remake of this game, but to be honest it's super solid as it is.  I'd be happy with a emulated version, or a copy for my 3DS.


              It is for note as well, the Genesis barely worked when I first fired it up.  It took a bit of time, letting it warm up, before it started to run without locking up before the title screen or mid game.  I haven't had this trouble with my SNES.  At the same time, it's always been in use since I've had it.  The Sega however, although hasn't seem much use lately, had seen a LOT of use in the past.


Apparently in Japan this game was titled:  I Love Donald Duck.  
I find that hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment