Sunday 19 January 2014

DAY 19 / GAME 19 Shadows of the Empire

DAY 19 / GAME 19

Shadows of the Empire



               How amazing was this game?  If your answer isn't something along the lines of 'it was the best game ever' than I don't know you.  Seriously though, I'm super excited just thinking about it again.  Shadows of the Empire was one of the best Star Wars games ever made.  This game alone is reason enough to buy a Nintendo 64. 


            Shadows had a great side-story to the trilogy, visited a ton of familiar locations and let you do all kinds of things you've always wanted to in a game about Star Wars.  You got to take part in the Battle of Hoth, roping AT-ATs in a snowspeeder.  You got to ride a speeder bike, fly a ship similar to the Millennium Falcon and take part in a space battle like in Return of the Jedi.  It also had a fantastic musical score which I have no idea how they fit on a cartridge.  I mean, I remember there was trouble fitting a proper soundtrack into Wipeout 64 so it ended up with a gimped version of what you got on the PS1.  But it was perfect, it used some of the best bits from the trilogy and added mostly original tracks by Joel McNeely which blended perfectly.




           Shadows of the Empire did another thing as well.  You see, for myself at least, one of the things that really made Star Wars for me were the ships.  The ships were characters themselves, each one with personality and uniqueness.  People remember the Millennium Falcon and the Slave 1 as much as Han Solo and Boba Fett.  So when Dash Rendar's Outrider was introduced they created another ship as memorable, if not more so, than their new hero.  They even added the Outrider into shots of the original trilogy during the re-releases.  (Not that something like that is very far-fetched.)

           The only trouble with the N64 is that this was one of the consoles my brother bought and subsequently lost over time.  So I don't have access to one to go back and play.  I'll have to see if I can get a hold one one.  Though, I would at least be happy if Nintendo would put this up for sale as a Wii-U VC game.


 Damn you Nintendo!  Get with it already!  We'd all buy these games three times over if you'd let us..

No comments:

Post a Comment