Sunday 24 August 2014

DAY 234 / GAME 234 Fallout: New Vegas

DAY 234 / GAME 234


Fallout: New Vegas


      Fallout 3 was something special.  In fact, I've just recently started it back up again and simply cannot put it down.  Fallout New Vegas follows the same rules but now with a new location and is equally difficult to part with.  Fallout is just this special kind of game, an RPG with a FPS point of view and an inbetween kind of pacing.  You can truly take any moral stance on the matters you become involved with and use whatever means suit your desires.  The missions you come across can be dealt with by a wide range of solutions each which may cater to the kind of character you choose to be.  You can talk, sneak, confront, shoot, lie or muscle your way though most scenarios each of which can dramatically change how the world sees you and what you walk away with.  

         Where Fallout 3 was set in Washington, New Vegas is set in, well, Las Vegas.  The 'Strip' is the major center of the game and although I've never been there myself it feels as if some landmarks may have been represented here.  Though some have been repurposed as gang hideouts, some remain as gambling centers and otherwise hubs for lewd conduct.  



    Though Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas seem very similar, they were different enough in terms of the overall story and environment that I found myself plugging in just as much time with both games.  For me, New Vegas did very little different in terms of the gameplay.  Though, the gameplay improvements were big changes, I was more interested in the big new story, the optional 'companion' (be it a dog, person or robot), new weapons, armor and a big new environment.  New Vegas was less confusing to navigate than the rubble of Washington and had a wider range of areas that were restricted to you simply because you were to low-level to survive in them.   


        I'm not sure what it was exactly; maybe it was the characters, the less bland appearance of the location, the wider range of weapons or the kinds of missions available.  But with New Vegas I spend a lot more time exploring the entire game whereas Fallout 3 I stuck mainly with the main story and missed out on a lot of the world on my first playthrough.  Everytime I think back to Fallout I always find myself reminiscing about the New Vegas elements much more than the Fallout 3 elements.  I suppose overall it simply struck a chord with me that much more.  In fact, I may put down Fallout 3 very shortly to go back to New Vegas.  Which is a terrible idea since I may never put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment