Friday 15 August 2014

DAY 227 / GAME 227 Racedriver GRID

DAY 227 / GAME 227


Racedriver GRID

      After the success of Codemasters DiRT rally game, I was pretty quick to jump on any other racer they pushed out the door.  I had been following the upcoming release of GRID for a while back in 2008 and it turned out even better than I could have ever expected.  I had seen what Codemasters could do with the Colin McRae rally property, but I had no idea if they'd be capable of so many other race disciplines.
          GRID covers a large number of racing disciplines and does a fantastic job on each of them.  It covers everything from GT touring cup championships, drift racing, touge, demolition derby and open wheel.  Pretty much everything except sprint car and rally some of which I had no idea existed before this game.


       Racedriver GRID took an already beautiful and accurate game engine and applied it to some new real life circuits and locations.  The real licensed cars look incredible and include a range from open-wheel roadsters to American muscle cars and Japanese drift machines.  The replay mode especially captured my attention with the ability to control the playback speed within a wide variance.  Controlled with the analog thumbstick, it looks incredible when combined with the fantastic camera angles and brilliant attention to detail including red-hot brake discs and billowing tire smoke.


         GRID features some great racing disciplines that really push your skill level.  For the first time I discovered Japanese touge racing which places you against an opponent, pushing against each other uphill along a mountainside road, then back down.  Strictly no-contact and the best overall time wins.  Essentially what you saw in Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.  GRID also features a variety of drift racing, including freestyle driving which rewards the most points achieved within a limited time as well as some standard circuit style races.  Races are spread out through a calendar year and at season's end you have the option of racing the 24 Hours of LeMans.  Of course, it's not a real 24 hours, but instead compressed into about 24 minutes.  But it does feature a full day-night cycle which really goes far to replicate what real drivers face in that race which includes going from full daylight, to the sun setting in your face and a dark night circuit.  It's easily one of the most unique features of this game and I love it.


     Racedriver GRID is one of my favorite racing games of all time.  Though, I can't say I ever got around to trying GRID 2 with the exception of a small demo at PAX East.  The new GRID Autosport does look absolutely fantastic though and I hear it is a real return to this original game.  I was very close to buying at launch, but I do have a lot on my plate right now.  I don't see myself waiting much longer however.


No comments:

Post a Comment