Sunday 3 August 2014

DAY 215 / GAME 215 Resident Evil: Code Veronica

DAY 215 / GAME 215


Resident Evil: Code Veronica

      Next on the list would be Resident Evil 2 but I already did a write up on that one back in March.  So with that in mind, I'll continue onto Resident Evil: Code Veronica.  Now, technically Resident Evil 3: Nemesis would be the next in line, but truth be told I somehow missed this title when it first came out and when I did go back and grab a copy I tried playing it and put it down a few hours into it with no regrets.  It didn't feel like it added anything new to the series and the reoccurring, undefeatable Nemesis boss felt pointless.  Even though technically, RE:3 added a few new changes to the gameplay that appeared in RE:0, the RE:1 remake and Code Veronica.  But of course, none of it was new going back to play this game after the fact.  

       As the story goes with Resident Evil and myself, it was one of those games that I never really played through.  Like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 7, most of what I had experienced with Resident Evil 2 was from watching while my brother played.  And since I wasn't around the whole time, there were large gaps which I had not seen.  So, when I left for university with my brand new Sega Dreamcast, I grabbed Code Veronica when it was released shortly after with the intent of having a full Resident Evil playthrough all to myself.
         Unfortunately it was not meant to be.  You see, as I've mentioned in posts prior, while in university I had this one roommate who was almost more excited than I was about my new Dreamcast.  Contrary to his study needs, he found himself practically addicted to a few key games I brought home.  Namely Crazy Taxi and Resident Evil: Code Veronica.  

         So of course, history continued to repeat itself.  I was more than happy to sit with him and watch as he played through the majority of this new Resident Evil game and I had the unfortunate fate of having never really seen the full game.  I've told myself many times over that one day I will sit down and properly complete it, especially now that they've released an HD updated version on current consoles I really have no excuse.  
        Either way, I really did love the game.  I did play a bit of the initial island and experienced all the great new things about the controls and overall design of the game.  Code Veronica made some great new advances as it was the first game on a new console including a big switch from pre-rendered background to a fully real-time rendered environment.  The camera was still fixed and the overall gameplay was still the same, but we got to see some great environmental effects like water overflowing in the gutters, realtime lighting and a few points where the camera was allowed to follow or shift into first person for moments like sniping.  Being on the Dreamcast as well meant that the life-meter that is usually hidden in the pause menu was now in front of us on the VMU's display screen on the controller.  One of the nicer uses of that feature.

       Resident Evil: Code Veronica was a step in the right direction for me.  It took advantage of the next generation of consoles at the time to move things into real-time rendering, while still maintaining the same visual style and gameplay.  It had the expected mood and narrative of a Resident Evil game and introduced enough fresh new content to separate itself from the rest of the series while moving it all forward.  If you're a Resident Evil fan like myself and for some reason you haven't tried this one yet, it's well worth it to give it a go.  Especially with the availability of the new HD remastered version available for cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment