Thursday 2 October 2014

DAY 275 / GAME 275 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan and Back From the Sewers

DAY 275 / GAME 275


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan and Back From the Sewers

      I've decided to lump these two games together.  Maybe because I don't have too much to say about either of them, regardless of how much I enjoyed them, or maybe because they were so similar in how they played and how I remember them.


     I recently wrote a post about how as a youngin' I owned a fully kitted out Nintendo GameBoy with a bunch of great games.  Two of those games I had were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 and 2.  Since the system game with both these games, there was no gap between when I played them and with that I pretty much played them back and forth, with certain elements I enjoyed better about each of one.


     Like a lot of kids in the 90's, certainly every kids I knew, I was a big fan of the Ninja Turtles cartoon.  One of my favorite kinds of games to play at the time as well were videogames based off of my favorite cartoon properties.  So, both these sat quite well with me.  They were both pretty lighthearted, considering they are all ninjas and your goal is to beat your way from start to finish, and they weren't so terribly impossible that I couldn't play them through most of the way.  They were filled with some great cutscene pixel artwork and were easily some of the better looking games for the original Gameboy, especially part 2.


    Looking back now, I remembered another thing about these two games.  Back when I was young, I was battling depression.  The only thing was that at the time I honestly had no idea, it took me literally decades to understand just what I was feeling.  All I knew was that I was upset and I had no idea why.  At the time I used to cling to whatever I knew would alleviate the pain, whatever would make me forget about the depression; most of the time this would be cartoons.  If I was depressed I would hope that there was something on tv that I could watch, it's not like we had the internet or streaming services like we do now.  


    So when I really needed a 'fix' and I was either away from home, or it was too late for cartoons, having games like these were a Godsend.  And though I had a number of other cartoon-based titles, there was something about these two games that I remember helping me through hard times the most.  I'm not sure what it was exactly, maybe it was just that the character sprites are always smiling.  They look so goddamned happy about being on screen I must have rubbed off.  And when you paused the screen, it cued some up-beat music and presented you with the 'pizza time' screen, suggesting you're taking a break.  Heck, I'd just pause the game for the experience.


  Man, I really loved those games.  They were another of the lot that made me instantly regret selling my GameBoy.  Though short, they were a couple really solid titles that were great fun on that platform.  In fact, I don't think there was a single 8-bit Ninja Turtles game I didn't really enjoy.  I'm going to check now if I can get these for the 3DS Virtual Console but I have a bad feeling they won't be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment