Tuesday 28 January 2014

DAY 28 / GAME 28 Dead Space 3

DAY 28 / GAME 28

Dead Space 3


             I really wasn't sure where to start in this series.  I really really love Dead Space.  The second and third I found were more polished in all aspects, but I'm not sure which I liked better.  2 was scarier, but 3 just had this great feel to it.  And I just love a game that takes place in the snow. 



              Dead Space games have always come out almost right on my birthday.  So it feels like a present just for me.  Which is great, because I absolutely love them.  It's got all my favourite sci-fi elements.  A dark dirty future with a nice taste of horror.  And Visceral Games does it just right.  Their attention to detail is beautiful and they really show that horror game or not, they are going to make it as much a work of art as any other game.  Dead Space 3 proved that they made a smart move giving the main character a voice in the second game.  The first game kept Issac Clarke a 'silent protagonist' only really showing his face at the very end.  But they really needed him to speak in order to sell the whole story and let you connect properly with his character.  Not to mention, Dead Space 3, especially the DLC story add-on had some great dialogue between Issac Clarke and John Carver.  Heck, I'd recommend the DLC simply for their back and forth banter.

                 The Dead Space series always had so many great 'wow' moments.  Moments that wish you had other people playing with you at the time to share them with.  Dead Space 3 has a co-op online multiplayer that I haven't had a chance to try out yet, which I bet would have been a blast the first time around.  
                  Dead Space 3 also had a terrific score.  They brought in an additional composer to score tracks alongside the series' songwriter from the previous two games.  I found this really freshened things up a bit.  The new tracks stood out to me as being a little more like a they belonged in a film score.  Some of them sounded right out of Ridley Scott's Alien.  I thought it really helped overall as I was honestly finding Jason Graves' stuff getting repetitive and formulaic. 



                 I'm having a hard time writing just a bit about Dead Space 3.  This is seriously one of my favorite games ever.  I love the suit designs, the ship designs, the weapon/tool designs, the way the developers talked about their design process and the love that went into it.  The game is so atmospheric; space walks have this deadened sound, ships feel like real ships and the suits look like they should work in space.  There's all these perfectly scripted action moments, terrifying horror moments and amazing reveals.

                 Basically Dead Space 3 is one of the best things ever. 

 Maybe one day Ricky will actually play it with me online, since I bought the PS3 version just for that reason..





No comments:

Post a Comment