Saturday 13 September 2014

DAY 256 / GAME 256 Halo 4

DAY 256 / GAME 256


Halo 4

      The most recent addition to the Halo series and also the first, Halo Wars aside, to be handled by a company other than Bungie; Halo 4 has proven to be one of the best of the series.  It took me a while before I could part with the bread, but eventually I was in just the right mood to be playing more Halo and ordered both this game and the artbook to go with it.  Which is something I started doing more and more lately.  Not necessarily buying them together, but having an nice book that shows the development process of my favorite games is just this fantastic, timeless piece for whatever moment I feel like remembering a game that I don't necessarily have time to start playing again.


     I was told Halo 4 was just fantastic by a friend of mine and he was so enthusiastic about this that I knew right away (not that I didn't feel this way already) that I couldn't let this title evade me for much longer.  I recently finished the single player campaign and it's not hard to say that it's the best of the series.  343 Studios managed to get the PlayStation 3 to render characters so lifelike that during the introductory cutscene I really was uncertain whether or not I was viewing life-action footage or rendered content.


     Halo has come a long way and ability of each studio to push it further and further each iteration has easily kept it from becoming stale without having to 'reboot' the franchise or take any other risk that may detract from the series' soul.  Gameplay is equally tight and reliable and 343 Studios continued the Bungie tradition of building beautiful alien worlds.  The Master Chief and Cortana characters have taken a step towards better explaining their past and exposing their more 'human' side which really added to the depth of this narrative over the previous three games.  


      It's funny how the shift of Halo gameplay for me has gone from almost exclusively multiplayer to exclusively single player.  Halo for me had always been about some of the best local-multiplayer events in my life and has really been a staple among some of my best friends.  I guess more responsibility in life means less time to arrange events like this, but I can't say I don't miss it.  I really should make time shortly to see just how much fun Halo 4 would be with some of my old friends.  It certainly makes me excited for the upcoming Halo Anniversary collection that is coming down the pipe on the new Xbox One.

No comments:

Post a Comment