Saturday 6 September 2014

DAY 249 / GAME 249 Killzone

DAY 249 / GAME 249


Killzone

      Killzone always stuck in my mind prior to it's release as the Helghast pictured in the promo material were confusingly similar to the Combine pictured in the Half-Life 2 promo materials.  Of course, I was far more concerned with the release of Half-Life 2 and even though Killzone was a pretty big property for Sony I still kept managing to forget it existed.  Each time I remembered a little bit about Killzone I was always afraid of forgetting about it again.  
         Eventually though, I picked it up when it became re-released under a 'greatest hits' value title and appeared on the shelves again.  Turns out that a game I was drawn to simply for it's enemy design ended up being a pretty great game.  Though I was a little unhappy with the muddy aiming controls and one poorly designed level near the end caused me to rage-quit the entire game; overall I was very happy with it.  Between Resistance and Killzone, both games which Sony backed in an attempt to put a Halo on the PlayStation, Killzone was the only one I was happy with.


       Killzone truly felt like a future-wartime shooter.  What you would expect to see if they placed Medal of Honor in the era of space colonization.  As you made you way through the storyline and through the various areas of the game it felt like you were on the frontlines of some dirty, bloody battle between two loosing forces.  
     Killzone really carried some awesome designs as well.  Not only were the Helghast (Killzone's particular antagonist force) fantastically menacing but the weapon designs were gritty and physical as opposed to the fantastic and futuristic weapons of Halo.  Beyond that, most of the level designs were something to behold as well.  One level in particular that felt like some kind of abandoned skyscraper frame will always stick in my mind.  One that you scaled as flying forces rose to meet you with gunfire.

          Killzone 1 was great in the sense that it got the series started and established the story and design.  But beyond that each sequel was far superior.  Though, now that I see that they've released an HD remake of this first PlayStation 2 title I'm itching to give it a go again.  (Maybe that one level is easier to navigate now.)  I've read (and seen) that this HD remake actually looks quite good and may be worth my invested time.




No comments:

Post a Comment