Saturday 28 June 2014

DAY 179 / GAME 179 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

DAY 179 / GAME 179


The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

      This make strike you as odd, but up until I had purchased a Nintendo 3DS I had never actually played any of the Legend of Zelda games.  The 3D rebuild of Ocarina of Time was the very first Zelda game I had ever played.  Some say it was a bad move on my part, now having played what some consider the best of the series, (some consider the best game of all time) going and playing any other Zelda title would be difficult.  And to a certain degree they were right.  Ocarina of Time remains the only Zelda title I have completed and easily my favorite of the lot.  Of course, it certainly helps that I have only played the massively overhauled 3DS version which is over a decade newer.


        It really was striking though.  One of the first games I had a chance to see on Nintendo's new portable hardware was this re-released game from the Nintendo 64.  It looked incredible and at first I wasn't even certain that it was an entirely new game or not.  It was the first game I bought when I got my 3DS and it had completely sold me on the system.  Which says a lot considering it's age.  Afterwards I enjoyed this so much that I went back to try some other Zelda games:  Phantom Hourglass for the DS, Link to the Past for the Gameboy Advance, Majora's Mask for N64 and the HD remake of Windwaker.  I have yet to complete any of them, though I found each of them much more interesting than I had originally guessed they would have been, but I just didn't have the drive to complete them like I did with Ocarina of Time.  Although I must say I was very impressed with Windwaker and I will be sure to finish that shortly.

         Ocarina of Time is really impressive when you consider it's age.  Not unlike Mario 64, it really came about as one of the first of it's kind.  There were few fully-3D roaming game like this one and it really set a lot of standards of controls and gameplay that we find so commonplace in today's games.  And incredibly enough, going back and playing it now is rewarding as it's controls are not clunky, the puzzles aren't confusing and the camera isn't half-bad.  It really makes me wish that I had been smart enough to have played this when it first came out.  Similarly though, I wish I had played Link to the Past when it first came out.  

       Ocarina of Time was just plain fun to play.  The puzzles were tough, but smart.  So you really felt like if you were stuck, it was something that could be fixed if only you take the time to think about it.  The sword and bow and arrow combat was well done and took advantage of a lock-on system so you didn't even need a second analog stick to properly control everything.  There was horse riding and even mounted combat.  Horse riding which meant you could really cross the big maps without spending so much time going back and forth for the purposes of certain puzzles.

      There's a lot of detail to go into to really describe all the amazing things about this game, but the big thing for me is simply how it opened my eyes to the Zelda game-verse.  If it wasn't for Ocarina of Time I probably would still be putting the Zelda games off as something I could never get into.  And although I may not quite have played anything like this one yet, I'm definitely more interested in investing time in the rest of the games now that I've run though this.







No comments:

Post a Comment