Tuesday 24 June 2014

DAY 175 / GAME 175 Dead Space 2

DAY 175 / GAME 175


Dead Space 2

      I once said that between Dead Space 2 and Dead Space 3 I couldn't decide which was my favourite.  Thankfully I don't actually need to choose, but I can say that I've easily put the most time and effort into part 2.  Dead Space 2 was another one of these perfect sequels.  A sequel where they really read the minds of the fanbase and created a second game that not only cleaned up the original gameplay and controls, but also expanded on the story and characters to create and even better experience than the last.  Dead Space 2 took action-horror-sci-fi to new places, with vivid and grotesque creature designs that ooze the kind of detail you almost don't want to see.  Incredible and unique EVA suits and weapons that are just repurposed space tools.  Because the nailgun in Quake and the chainsaw in Doom were the best weapons in a game to date and who really hasn't fired a big stapler like it was a gun before?

          I remember hearing the announcement for Dead Space 2 and just being ecstatic.  I really loved the first game, but I love a lot of unpopular games and I really wasn't sure it was going to take off as a new IP.  But it seemed to have gotten quite a bit of traction.  EA sure made a big advertising push.  They had the 'reaction' ads where they showed the game to soccer moms and filmed their disgusted reactions and when I attended PAX East that year they made a great show.  Not only did they do a great retrospective panel regarding the first game, but showed (for the first time) footage from the new game.  Then, on top of it all, they showed up with an (expensive) recreation of the new Dead Space 2 RIG suit, all very functional with articulated panels and lights, worn by a staff member.

      Dead Space 2 was incredibly scary.  Which is a feat considering you make your way through the game fully-armed and in a suit of armor.  Both things which would normally take away from the terror level almost completely.  But the truth is, Dead Space 2 is full of enough creepy monster children and chirping raptor like meat-machines that even with your plasma cutter readied you feel pretty helpless when they start running at you from the darkness.  In fact, if there weren't any ranged weapons I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to play this game at all.  As it stands, I found I could only play it for about an hour at a time before I felt like my heart was going to just give up and quit; my nerves more shot than a housecat.

        Dead Space 2 was just the perfect feat of a game.  It looked utterly fantastic and disgustingly horrifying.  I read somewhere that staff had to study animal carcasses in order to properly create the designs for the game, which typically appear as a mashup of body parts.  Controls are clean and tight, your weapons are unique and fun to use.  The multiple designs for a variety of different RIG suits you can wear are amazing.  So much more than what was available in the first game.  Everything from the clunky engineer's suit to the sleek and deadly new suits and my favorite minimalist hacker suit.  The music is incredible and perfectly background and the sound design is top notch.  There are some moments when everything is going to hell and the Marker is sending out horrifying signals; the low, ominous sound presses on the already terrifying note of almost certain end.

          I must have played this game through at least 3 times.  I even tried like hell to beat in on the hardest mode to get a few unlocks.  But with only 3 save points allowed and no checkpoints it's practically impossible.  The DLC for this game, which is a terrific side story with a new RIG suit and character, which follows alongside Issac's story is some of the best DLC to date.  I even made sure to play this through multiple times as well.  One of my absolute favorite games to date, I'm super glad they made an amazing sequel to it and I'm looking forward to the announcement of a Dead Space 4.  I'm sure Visceral will treat it right.






No comments:

Post a Comment