Tuesday 31 December 2013

DAY 1 / GAME 1 Grim Fandango

DAY 1 / GAME 1

  Grim Fandango

             With a lot of games to choose from, first mention easily goes to my favorite game of all time. I remember seeing an article interviewing Tim Schafer at LucasArts regarding the development of a new game, this game would feature characters designed to look like paper mache skeletons like what you would see at a Mexican Day of the Dead festival. I was excited from day one and followed every update LucasArts presented. For the first time I interested in more than just the game itself, but all the behind the scenes action as well. This was also the first time I followed a developer not unlike a celebrity. I had always trusted LucasArts as a source for my favorite games, but now I had a real name to attach to my favorite games.

             All this aside, Grim Fandango features one of my favourite stories and some of my favorite artwork. I always felt that this game was closest one has ever come to a great playable novel. Pre-rendered artwork at a time when no real-time engine could produce what was needed meant although it wasn't scalable, it looked amazing at the time. (And to a certain degree still does.) Grim Fandango showed me for the first time that video games truly are art and have become an enjoyable medium unlike any other visual entertainment.


 If I were to rate this game, out of a number of stars, I would give it;
             All of the Stars.

2 comments:

  1. Run, you pigeons. It's Robert Frost!

    I remember how Future Shop had it on sale by accident and a bunch of us ended up picking it up at like $17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That clown may be my favorite side character in all of gaming.

      Delete